Thursday 5 January 2012

First Foray of 2012 2-1-12

With only doing garden birds on new years day I decided on a walk around my local patch ( Far Ings ) to see if I could get the Short Eared Owl that had been showing on the Humber Bank and get my year list off to a start.
On arriving at Far Ings I walked the usual way starting off at Barton Reedbed picking up a few of the common birds but not much else, so I carried on to the bank but no show for the Owl only a cold wind so decided on a look around the Old Cement works for some shore birds and a bit of shelter a single common Redshank was on the foreshore and a few Bullfinch flitting about,after a while I continued along Hotel track making my way to Ness hide again only adding the usual waterfowl to my list but all welcome.After half hour or so I decided on a wander up to Chowder Ness for more waders but as I was leaving some guy shouted out Bittern I made my way up the stairs to have a look but it didn't show so after another half hour I made my way to Chowder Ness but on scanning the mud flats it was Waderless :(,but did pick up Shelduck & Wigeon on Target Pit.
With the wind being so cold I made tracks for home just as I reached Pursuit Pit I was alerted to a Male Smew showing on the Pit,so I scurried along Far Ings road to a opening that allowed me to view him in the middle of the pit defo bird of the day.
other birds of note
Curlew
Goldeneye
Water Rail

No comments:

Post a Comment