Friday, 27 November 2015

A return visit to Barton upon Humber 24 - 27/11/15

With a week off work I had arranged a few days to go and visit friends and do some birding on my old local patch in North Linc's,arriving on the afternoon of the 24th after a 3 hour journey on my trusted stead Mandy had prepared a lovely casserole which was well welcomed and washed down with a glass of wine or two,then plans was made for the following day to be at Far Ings NNR early so with alarms set for 7.00 it was time for a well needed sleep.
With my alarm being hit on snooze a few times I herd Mandy shout me and after a coffee or two to wake up,we set off and arrived at Barton Reedbed at about 8.30 with Mandy having a few worries about going in on her own in the past we made our way through to the Monolyth,not much in the way of bird life apart from plenty of Wood pigeons,we carried on our way and stopped at Beardy corner and stopped there for 5 minutes or so 2 Water Rails was hear calling close by but no sign of the Bearded Tits that had been showing on and off in previous couple of weeks.
We then made our way up on to the Humber bank and to the Cement works foreshore,where we picked up on a couple of Bullfinch,Redwing and a couple of Great-black backed-Gulls and 5 Common Redshank,we stopped and had a Coffee before making our way up to Chowder Ness checking along the bank in case the recent Snow Bunting and Twite was still about but no luck with them,on arriving at Chowder immediately I could hear the distinct ping of Bearded Tits,and we quickly worked out that they was in the small reedbed close to the footpath,so we hurried ourselves along to them just before they flew in to the next reedbed wich was even smaller and worked out even better for us,now the only problem we had to deal with was the sun directly in our faces so I move up along a bit more to try and get a better angle and waited and sure enough they was coming right to the front on the ground and the reed tops,this really put a smile on our faces as we took photo's and just watched them 7 in total was counted before they flew off in to the Sea aster and then they went quiet,but wow what a brilliant experience to have with them.
While Mandy poured the coffee I had a scan around to see what was milling about on the mud where I picked out a few Curlew and more Common Redshank along with a lone Shelduck,but with a Short-eared Owl being reported on Chowder and the New pits we waited a while just in case but no Joy,we continued down along the back of the new pits just in case the SEO was down there but no but we did pick up some Wigeon for the day list and 2 Lesser Redpoll,this brought us round at Ness farm so what was more obvious than go and look in Ness hide knowing full well the circus clowns would be in there,so we decided to go and look anyway for 30 minutes has we both don't really like it but wanted to pick up on Bittern and after 10 minutes of waiting sure enough it flew in shortly followed by the Kingfisher hasI heard it and said to Mandy wind up the gattling guns and sure enough off went the cameras (why I will never know crap perches and back ground is messy so why they bother is behond me ).
We did pick up Lapwing,Fieldfare and Gadwall also for the list.We left and went looking for the lone Bean Goose that was reported to me that was said to be in western approach field,we arrived there to only find a lone Canada goose Mandy and myself both thought the same surely not !!!
We left in laughter and made our way back to Ness farm and continued to Hotel hide but a bit quiet today as the work party was cutting down the willows behind us out of the East marsh channel but I did get to meet Simon the new head warden of Far Ings.
We then made our way back to Ness hide seeing that the circus clowns had gone and we chatted about what they had been photographing and what the photos would look like nothing I would want to show off really anyway,we left Ness hide and made our way back to new pits to see if the Shorty would show for us but within the hour we waited it didn't and the cold started to set in and light starting to fade by this time,we decided to call it a day and made our way back home to do a Bird list for the Bird study group and tot up how many species we had seen a total of 60 species for the day so not a bad day at all which was finished off with a couple of pint of my favourite drink Lincoln Gold in the Sloop with Mandy and Andy which we had a few laughs and a bit of birding chat.
What a great day and some photos of the Bearded Tits below

No comments:

Post a Comment